Sunday, March 7, 2010

Don't judge a book by it's cover.

Saturday I got a text wondering if I could
sub for a coed team that night. I found a sitter and I was ready to go.

I'm always nervous about subbing wether I'll be up to snuff for
the team. Especially when it involves a coed team. Usually coed
teams prefer male keepers. So bias. Pffft

The game started and the first shot was drilled at me and I blocked it with the inside of
my leg. If I wasn't wearing pants I'm sure it would have stung a
lot more.

There are three saves specifically that make me laugh.
1: The ball was coming toward me against the wall and my defense wasn't there yet. So I ran out and got my foot on it a split second before him and was then smashed into the wall by a 200+ pound guy. SAVE! He was nice and asked if I was ok afterward.

2: a few minute later the same guy got around the defense and was to my right just inside the box. I charged and slid. I saved the ball while at the same time taking this big guys feet right out from under him. It made me smile. He asked again if I was ok. I did the same.

3: My luckiest save was just that. The guy was scoring all the goals was coming at me down the center. Again I don't know where my defense was so went to cut off the angle. He tried to shoot and I caught it between my legs. I still can't beleive it.

My defense was definately awesome but there are always the times they just aren't there. They saved my butt many times.

We were up 10-6 with 4 minutes to go but as always anything can happen. They got a free PK and the girl was able to get around me. And girl goals are worth 2. Then a scored a goal. And with one minute to go this girl got a lucky shot. My fingers partially blocked it but not good enough so we lost by one.

It was a fun game and my ego swelled a bit after the game. You can tell when people are just going through the motions and saying good game after and when they mean it. Everybody had a look of amazement and told me I did awesome. Even the ref came over and told me I did well. The team told me I could sub for them anytime. I'm glad I did well for the team. I left that game with a few more bruises, jammed fingers, rug burn, and a slightly bigger head. But that just means I have more pressure to do well if I sub for them again and I'm up to the challenge. :)

No comments: